Sunday, April 13, 2008

So long, winter!!!



California bound, baby! It’s hard to believe but I haven’t been back home to CA since 2006. I haven’t been back to the US since I left Louisiana in Mar of 07. What a great feeling.

As you can see in the pix, I am leaving behind some miserable weather. Even though the snow has melted away around a week ago, it still has been a particularly cold winter here in Germany. We’ve been pounded by snow, rain, and everything in between. I am still trying to decipher the difference between sleet, hail, and freezing rain. I never thought I would say this but I really think the dreary weather is starting to get to me. I’ve got a buddy stationed in the UK who states that their Medical Group provides “sessions” of exposure to a special light that is supposed to replicate the effects of sunshine. While at first it sounded kooky, I am now starting to see the light (if you get my drift).

Anyhow, I’ve been compiling a “to do list” for things I want to do back home in CA. I compiled a similar list when I arrived in Europe. Just then, I thought about what a German would do if he was to visit CA for the first time. I’m guessing their list would be something like this:

Go to Hollywood (see all the movie stars)
Shop at Rodeo Drive
Go to Sacramento and see famous Austrian hero/Governor
Wear Speedo while visiting Muscle Beach in Venice
Attempt to learn how to surf in San Diego

My list is a bit more boring. Here are a few samples in no specific order:

Catch up with friends and family
In and Out Burger
See a movie with family in Burbank
Grab a pint at Lucky Baldwin’s in Pasadena
Do absolutely nothing so long as I’m outside in the sun!
As for travel, I haven't done squat for the last few weeks. I've exhausted every excuse in the book to sit around. I blame the weather. As a parting shot, the pix to the right is a travel rewind shot of JJ and I wrestling in a park in Dublin.

No comments: