Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Easter in Bavaria


Happy Easter/Frohe Ostern!
We were lucky enought to spend this Easter in Garmish and Munich. The original plan was to head over to Salzburg, Austria for the holiday but heavy snow here in Rhineland Pfalz caused us to delay/rearrange our trip. We both agreed that Salzburg will have to wait until the weather warms up.


We put a new spin on this trip to keep things interesting. Rather than drive in the snow, we decided to take the train for the Bavarian leg of our journey. Rewind to November and we found ourselves slipping and sliding all over the Autobahn trying to reach the Alps town of Garmish (our SUV still has a small souvenier from that trip). Anyhow, I've always wanted to take the train through this picturesque part of Germany and it was absolutely worth it!


After spending Easter morning in Garmish, we hopped back on the train and headed up to Munich. The leg of the journey was really incredible. We passed through numerous quaint villages complete with half timbered houses and religious murals. About half way there we also passed by a massive lake that reflected the snow capped Alps perfectly. I was ready to hop off the train right there and then.

When we arrived in Munich, I had the duty to find us a place to eat that night since it also happened to be my birthday. Now in most cities this may present a challenge but in Munich there is only one place I would want to go for a birthday dinner: The world famous Hofbrau Haus. The picture to the right shows me downing one of two Hefeweisens I enjoyed that night. As an added bonus, both kids were conked out minutes after we arrived so Jen and I had an hour or so to chat like adults (no mention of Disney Princesses, mac and cheese, ballet moves, etc). It was the best present I could have asked for from my kids.

On a different note, only two weeks to go before I head back to the Golden State. It's about time!

No comments: