Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Taking to the ice in Stockholm

About ten years ago, we visited Stockholm and took a boat around the archipelago that surrounds the city.  During the ride, the driver told us the harbor freezes over and the locals go ice skating for long distances.  Seemed to me like such a good idea and a great way to see that incredible city from afar.  Fast forward nine years and when I got my assignment to Poland, I made a list of places I wanted to check out in Europe.  Turns out there were a lot of places that I still wanted to see and experience.  Long distance ice staking in Stockholm was at the top of the list.
 
Fortunately, getting to Stockholm from Poland is stupid cheap.  It's not really that far and this time of year, I was around a hundred bucks roundtrip.  To be honest, you may as well go this time of year since the prices in town are a bit cheaper than normal but still crazy expensive.  Not only that, there is no such thing as warm weather in Stockholm so why not go in February?  Post script: The flight was the only affordable thing in Stockholm. 
 
In sum, spent last Saturday skating on some ice just outside town with a group called IceGuides.  My fellow adventurers included a couple from London and Dusseldorf as well as the guide who was a local.  Couldn't have asked for a better group of folks.  Not only that, couldn't have asked for a better day.  Was on the cloudy sky but no snow or sleet (although it snowed like crazy on Saturday night). 
 
Now it's off to Belfast for another bucket list visit.
 



No comments: