Saturday, June 6, 2009

Downrange with America's Afrika Korps

It has been way too long since I've updated this blog. So much has happened since our trip to Bacharach that it's hard to know where to begin. In a nutshell, I've just returned from a short stint at the Naval Expeditionary Base at Camp Lemonier, Djibouti which is why I have been out of touch lately. Anyhow, the trip downrange had me travel through four continents in four days (N. America, Europe, Asia, and Africa).

My journey started in Orlando, FL where we had been vacationing (and searching for some of that Florida sun which we never really found). Eventually my journey took me through places such as Riyahd, Saudi Arabia and Dubai, UAE. Now I've been to Turkey so it's not like I haven't been to a muslim country before but seeing these places in person was very cool. The tables were definitely turned in Saudi. Unlike in the West, I was the odd man out since I wasn't wearing the white robe and checkerboard head scarf.

After a series of long layovers, delayed/canceled flights, etc I eventually arrived at my destination. Keep in mind that Djibouti isn't exactly a resort destination. Think of those commercials where you can sponsor an African kid for only two dollars per day...and make it even worse. That's Djibouti. Ten miles from Somalia. We're there to turn this place around I suppose. Anyhow, I won't bore you with the details about my work down there but I will share some cool pix. Take a look:

Galley...Navy speak for chow hall...in the center of camp
Inside "the wire" at Camp LeMonier. (Cool historical fact: The camp was an abandoned French Foreign Legion Base which explains the name)
Home Sweet Home. These Containerized Living Units or CLUs reminded me of a trailer park. However, these beat the snot of tent living


Baking in the 120 degree heat. The crazy heat reminded me of my visits to Palm Springs in the dead of summer but only more humid



1 comment:

Daniel Baldwin said...

Those pics are cool. Not often you get to see pics from an American base in Africa. Do you have pics from Saudi Arabia or Dubai?