Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Stockholm Surprise


Tick-tock tick-tock. Our time here in Europe is running out...FAST. Because of this we felt compelled to see as many places on our impossibly long "must see" list as possible. Scandanavia was next on our list. So many places to choose from but fortunately we were able to get cheap airline tix to Stockholm and we took full advantage. So last Friday we headed north for our Swedish getaway.
A few brief observations of Stockholm and Sweden:
1. The place is expensive! Sure the dollar is weak against the Euro but against the Krone, it is monopoly money. Everything is pretty much triple what it would cost in the US.
2. Everyone speaks English...fluently. What a relief. Fortunately we were able to manage with the one word that is too easy for us Yanks: Hey. Hey in Swedish means hi. Too easy.
3. Stockholm is really underrated. The place was gorgeous and the skyline was incredible. It reminded Jen and I of Seattle/Vancouver. Water ran through the city and the architecture was stunning. Many of the old historic buildings never were bombed and are in prestine condition. Ah the joys of neutrality (and isolationism).
4. The Swedish people were very nice. Example, if they bumbed into you, they would say "excuse me". This concept is lost on most other Europeans but not the friendly Swedes.
5. There were 7-11s everywhere. As an American growing up with a 7-11 on every street corner, seeing these stores was a taste of home (not to mention the taste of a slurplee)
6. I know I'll get in trouble for saying this but Stockholm, hands down, had the best looking women in all of Europe. Jen even mentioned to me that the girl taking our order at McDonalds would win America's top model if she entered the competition. I'm sure she was right. To make matters worse, they were young women everywhere. To all of my single male friends, I leave you this message: Go North! You'll thank me later. Now I hear Kazakhstan has some hotties walking around but I have to base this on places that I've visited.

Here are some pix of us around town:
JJ and I at Skansen Open Air Cultural Center
A rare pix of entire family taken by a group of outgoing Indian students


Jen and Luke the Viking overlooking the amazing city of Stockholm

No comments: