Sunday, September 7, 2008

Aeromedical Evacuation Mission


Got a chance to go on an C-17 AE mission back to Andrews AFB, MD last week. For those of you who aren't familiar with my job, I plan these AE missions and this was a chance for me to see the mission up close and personal. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity. Here are some pix from the trip:


Maj King, Me, TSgt Moore before the mission launched
-See how well rested we appear...It wouldn't last
Onboard the C-17 enroute to DC
-Not the greatest pix but I didn't want to interfere with the patients and nurses
-You'll notice the litter (strecher) stanchions for the non ambulatory pts
-The Walking Wounded sat in the web seats on the side of the aircraft
Arrival at Andrews
-Most of the patients will go to Walter Reed Med Ctr or Bethesda Natl Naval Med Ctr which are both in the DC area
-Others will hang out at Andrews until they can board another mission bound for their ultimate destination
-The patients are transported by ambus
-Total mission time was about 9 hours...not too bad!

New Air Force Memorial in DC



Even though it was only for about 24 hours, I was glad to be back in the US. There was a 7-11 across the street from the hotel and that was definitely the highlight. Since we were all on Central Europe time, it was nice to have a place to go at 3 in the morning that was still open.

The flight back was a little rough. We departed around 10 PM eastern time so we were all wiped out. Fortunately they let us spread out and sleep on the floor of the aircraft which was nice but the aircraft was carring an MRAP which took up most of the plane. An MRAP is a mine resistant personnel carrier which looks more like a lunar lander/tank than a modified Humvee. It was huge and took up most of the floor space. I was wedged up against one of its gargantual tires which made for a rather uncomfortable ride home. Once we arrived I was in serious need of rub down (too bad I never got one).

Despite some of the inconveniences, this was an amazing exerpience. I got to see our incredible medics in action. It was awe inspiring to see their dedication to our patients and to the mission. I'm sure this will be a trip I won't soon forget.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

About two years ago when my step-father passed away I was put on a jump seat in an Aeromedical evac flight to get home (it was the first available flight out) to the US - my seat was in the "ICU" section of the plane. It was truly awe inspiring and a humbling experience. The care and love the staff gave to those patients was incredible; it brings tears to my eyes again to think of it.

I'm glad you got to experience it.

Jenn