Thursday, April 30, 2009

What the last three years have meant

A long time ago I promised I would keep this blog focused on travel. For the most part, I've kept my promise. I really could care less about everyone else's politics, religion, job, etc. and I am pretty sure most feel the same way about my views. But then I came across the following article in a German magazine called Der Speigel and I believe it does a good job explaining what my job is all about. Here's a short excerpt:


"He arrives in the form of a broken man, a body almost completely covered in gauze bandages, darkened in spots, and connected to various machines -- he is unconscious. The chaplain at the head of the welcoming committee personally greets the new arrival, just as every new arrival at Landstuhl is greeted personally, whether he is awake, asleep or in a coma. The priest stands next to the stretcher and leans in toward the patient, almost as if he were bowing, and, addressing him by his first name: Michael, he says, "you are safe now. You're in Germany."

Take a look at the full article at the following link: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,471654,00.html

The 13th of May marks three years for me in Germany. In these three years I've done a lot of traveling and had a blast in the process. However, it will be the job that I did during this time that I will remember the most.

No comments: