Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Takin' to the streets

Last year I was thumbing through the Stars and Stripes and I came across an article about off-beat things to do in Paris. The "Paris Roullier" event caught my eye. Come to find out that the Parisians shut down many of their main streets on a given summer night and turn it over to the hordes of rollerbladers. What a cool concept! Imagine, rolling through the streets of Paris on a pair of rollerblades with a few hundred kindred spirits.



When I learned the city of Kaiserslautern decided to follow suit, I was in! It turned out to be an unforgetable experience. I met around two hundred other rollerbladers in the city center and at 8:30 PM, we were off. The 15K course was really easy and very scenic. We cruised past hundred year old churches, post WWII construction apartment blocks, beautiful parks, and even a US Army barracks. What a blast. The 82 degree weather didn't hurt either. Unfortunately my new phone isn't sync'ing up with my computer so additional pix will have to wait.




On a different note, I have to brag about my son Luke for a few minutes. I know this isn't really travel related but I can't contain myself. Luke is too cool! Unlike his sister, he absolutely loves daddy time. Luke, Reagan and I go for long walks through the forest when I get home. It is turning out to be one of live's simple pleasures. Honestly, the nature walk I had with my boys today easily topped my lame trip to Cinque Terre last week (but then again, that didn't take much).



The pix to the left is one of my recent favorites. It's tought to tell from the pix but Lukenheimer's shirt reads, "Dad's Team". That's my boy!

Finally, a big THANK YOU to all who read this blog! Until I wrote the article on Cinque Terre, I honestly thought no one actually read this drivel. So many people commented on that one posting that it became obvious that there is a nice little audience out there. Good times!

No comments: