Friday, September 28, 2007

Music and Travel, Belgium Bound

Before I get into the theme of music and travel, I'm headed to the Ardennes Forest and Bastogne tomorrow. Bastogne, as many will know, is there the 82 Airborne Div was tangled up in a little engagement known as the battle of the bulge. This was Germany's last ditch offensive designed to push the Allies back into the sea. Didn't exactly go according to plan for Germany to say the least.
Belgium isn't a place I've been very much so I am definitely looking forward to soaking up some of their culture. Jen Julia and I stopped there on the way to Holland one time and had delicious coffee and pastries (every french speaking country seems to have those types of places) but this time, I'm not just passing through. Should be interesting.

Also, I've been incorporating a lot of music into the travels. I know I stand out as the ugly American with the white iPod wires coming out of my ear but so what. I've found that some songs have an association to places where I've traveled for whatever reason. Here are some examples:

Paris: Hey There Delilah by the Plain White Tees (played on the radio as Jen and I were rolling into town)
Munich: Crazy by the Dave Matthews Band (song alludes to a surreal fealing that I could relate to during Oktoberfest)
Muerren (Switzerland): Aspenglow by John Denver (great hiking song)
San Jose, CA: American Pie by Don McLean (Jen and I sang along to this one after visiting the Winchester House)
Lake Havasu, AZ: Are You Jimmy Ray? by none other than Jimmy Ray (was in heavy rotation when I was out there with Daniel and Brian one year)
Hawaii: Taylor by Jack Johnson (a line refers to being 2000 miles away from here and I always imagine that 2000 miles is somewhere in Hawaii)

I wonder if anyone else associates particular songs with random cities.

No comments: